December 10, 2021
Cheesy Surimi and Corn Spoon Bread
Yield: 6 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces Wild Alaska Pollock surimi seafood flakes or chunks, coarsely broken up
- 1 cup corn kernels (canned, drained, or frozen, thawed)
- One 7-ounce can diced green chiles (optional)
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup sour cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the cornmeal and salt. Gradually whisk in the boiling water. Set aside to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish or 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Whisk the milk into the cornmeal mixture. Whisk in the eggs, baking powder, and cumin. Stir in the Wild Alaska Pollock surimi seafood, corn, chiles, if using, and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake until the center is set and the cheese is lightly browned, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Serve with the sour cream, if using.